Tuesday, November 27, 2007

RSS-Simple?

Does RSS make things simple? I think the concept is good, but you still have to go to THAT website whether it is Bloglines or Newsgator to get your news. I think as the web continue to evolve RSS will just be a seamless part of the web, perhaps say as IE adds RSS features to the browser your RSS choices would just load up as "bookmarks". I also use Google Mypage options and you can add RSS like features to your home page so that when you are signed in, whatever sites you have set load up with "new" items. I then set (on at least my home pc) Google as my home page and my "RSS" is right there. I don't see my self going to a RSS reader on a daily basis to check my news. I can see how using to keep up with a group project, like Learning 2.0 to see updates on participants blogs is very useful. You (Hood and Hat) can see all updates on Blogs at one time/one place, without having to go to each blog. I can also see that libraries could use the "alert" feature to see if the library is mentioned in Blogs or other websites. Another use for libraries would be to make information on their websites available thru RSS feed. Personally, I would just have to make my newsreader a habit before it was very useful to me. And maybe that is the same with lots of the 23 1/2 things we are learning about, making it a habit to go to the websites and make use of the things takes practice and repetition to make it part of your everyday online life. While surfing the web I can tell that some people go to the same site everyday to post comments, etc. I can only think of one or two websites that I go to EVERYDAY! And they are mostly news or search engines. As much as I think I "live" on the net, I think there are people who spend much much more time on the net and it does become their "Second Life". So to come full circle, IF I spent even more time on the net and organized that time, I may find that RSS is a more useful thing. We'll see. :)

No comments: