Wednesday, November 28, 2007

RSS-Redux-Thing #9

#9...#9 (Beatles, get it...see if you hear what Charles Manson heard)

Okay on second thought RSS is a useful thing. What changed my mind is IE-7, which I downloaded to my laptop at home. With IE7 you can add RSS Feed directly from the toolbar and your feed is then available at anytime with one click. IE7 detects availability of RSS feed and when available the RSS symbol lights up on your tool bar, then thru a couple of steps you can subscribe to the feed. It is much easier than Bloglines. Now I may have to merge all my Blogline feeds to my IE7 feeds, but that should be easy.

I did take a look at Topix.net, Syndic8.com and Technorati: I was very impressed with the number of topics that were available to subscribe to feed. I was also impressed and can see a use for the "poll" information at Topix.net. Debate students or just students writing papers could find a wealth of information at Topix.net. Many school districts "adopt" a state wide topic for debate competitions, using RSS feed searches, I think students could find statistics, current laws, proposed laws, and polling information on thier topic.

Again as mentioned in other posts, I think libraries and any organization could also make use of RSS feed alert subscriptions to "track" mentions of their library in media and blogs.

While searching for library and librarian blogs with Bloglines, I subscribed to about 12 different sites making use of "related feeds". I see this as a useful tool again for students and researchers, once they find one site, they can then find related sites that would be valuable.

I also used the feed searches to find some "design" websites and subscribed to two:

Design Sponge
Fredflare (actually I take it back Fredflare does not have feed they have a blog and a podcast, I found them while surfing on Design sponge.)

Both sites gave me some Christmas gift ideas. So if you have time check them out.

No comments: